Friday, March 7, 2014

Friday Fusion, Volume 1 - The Vespers, "Lawdy"

Song of the Week:  The Vespers, "Lawdy"
This Nashville-based quartet consists of two sets of siblings.  They're part of a growing collection of Folk-Americana groups that have grabbed my fancy over the past couple of years.  They're young, creative, and pursuing a great story.  

"Lawdy" is simultaneously light and dark - a fragile voice pursuing guidance, comfort, and support.  It rings true as it builds.  I can relate and I love it.  Hope you do to.  



Why I'm sharing them:

Music has been a faithful companion of mine since I was a wee lad.  M
any a great visual memory is backed by a soundtrack in my mind. 
  • My brother's basement room in our townhome in Cudahy, WI - with Rush, Boston, and Van Halen 1984 spinnin' on the turntable.  
  • A front-row balcony seat in a tiny chapel on the campus of Washington & Lee University to see a large portion of the Marsalis family (Branford & Ellis) perform amazing Jazz. 
  • A decade dominated by R.E.M. and one-off alternative bands keeping me company in the Ceramics Studio during all-night artistic binges
  • Newly married in a top-down, doors-off Jeep Wrangler, with Santana out-dueling the wind.
  • Celebrating my brother's 35th at a Boston concert with some 50-year-old pot smokers in front of us.  ("What's that smell?", "Do you have any brownies on ya'?")
  • Multiple opportunities to soak in the Civil Wars - from a tiny Minneapolis to a sold-out show at the State Theatre
  • Date nights with friends for Third Day, David Crowder, The Lone Bellow 
  • And many more....

Last October we hosted a night with Steve Moakler - a Nashville-based singer/songwriter. I absolutely loved the process of promoting the show, organizing the logistics, and pullin' off a great night with old friends and new.

If you weren't there, I wish you could've been.  It was a blast and we'll be doing similar events in the future.  

So, until we host another show, consider these soon-to-be-weekly posts as an invitation to experience some new tunes and connect as a virtual community around a song or two.  Let 'em soak in.   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment