Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Bucket

I’m a 42 year old that tends to think he has the physical strength of a gangly adolescent.  I’ve got a couple of partially herniated discs in my lower back which I normally use as legitimate excuses to avoid heavy lifting. 

The trip to Russia was a deliberate choice to stretch my physical self and work side-by-side with men doing stereotypically manly work.  It was a big deal for me and I was honestly afraid when I said yes. 

So, over a period of about 4 months, I lost 15-20 pounds of flubber, ran a few 5Ks, and carried weights up and down the stairs in preparation for the trip.  I didn’t want to be the weak one. 
A week before I left, I pushed my preparation a little too hard while the muscles were stiff and it caused my back to go into spasm.  After envisioning myself landing in a Russian hospital, I almost bowed out of the trip altogether.  

A good friend gave me some great advice: “Decisions based on fear usually aren’t the best & I’ve regretted most of them.”   I decided to trust God and go – tight muscles and all.
I was tentative the first couple of days – focusing on low impact activities that didn’t force the issue (sweeping instead of lifting, etc).  I added value, but I wasn’t accomplishing the goals I had established for the trip.   Recognizing the situation, I took what felt like a personal risk and asked the team to integrate me into the heavy lifting.  They heard me and they proactively invited me in. 

When I learned about "The Bucket", I started to think exclusion might be wiser. Three guys on the ground fill up this 8’x4’x4’ metal-dumpster-lookin’ thing  with sand or rock, and a crane suspends it 20-25 feet in the air next to a little balcony on the 3rd floor.   A guy from the 3rd floor hops into The Bucket and empties it one pail at a time, as quickly as possible.  Oh yeah… it’s also 90 degrees outside and, depending upon the time of day, you might get the bonus prize of the sun baking your back while you work.   

They didn’t ask me to do it.  But, for me, The Bucket became the symbol for taking a risk and being a man.  I indicated that I was getting in and didn’t turn back.  Fill, Lift, Grab an Empty, Fill, Lift, Grab an Empty, Fill, Lift, Grab an Empty… repeat.   Hard work meant for a man.  <insert Tim Allen grunting noises here>

It was the best 10-or-so minutes of the trip up to that point.  I gained my own respect in that bucket.  I became an equal in my own eyes (probably the only set of eyes that didn’t already see me as one).  
I didn’t shrink back from physical labor the rest of the trip and I’m thankful that I didn’t give into fear and walk away.   I would have missed out on an amazing experience. 


Ephesians 6:10-13Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.  Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment